8 cups beef broth
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
2 shallots, chopped
2 cups Carnaroli or Arborio rice
1 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup Nicasio Square cut into small cubes
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus additional for serving
- In a pot, bring the broth to simmer.
- In a separate pan, combine the olive oil, butter and shallots. Cook over medium heat until shallots are golden.
- Add the rice and stir constantly to coat for about 3 minutes.
- Add the wine to the rice mixture and cook until absorbed.
- Add the hot broth, 1/2 cup at a time until absorbed, stirring constantly. Continue until rice is just tender 20-30 mins.
- Remove the cooked rice from the heat and stir in the Nicasio Square and Parmigiano- Reggiano.
- Add additional broth until the rice has reached your desired consistency. Serve immediately, with additional Parmigiano-Reggiano to taste.
Variation: shred 1 small head of radicchio, saute in 1 tbsp olive oil and add to the rice along with Nicasio Square.